Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ailing Prima Donnas and My Aunt Rosemary

Dear Dawg,
Are the Rays gonna challenge the Sox now that they signed Manny and Johnny Drama?
Worried in Gloucester

Dear Worried,
If it were 2004, I'd be worried about this. But let's face it, these are two players wayyyy past their primes. When Johnny was smack dab in the middle of his prime he threw like my Aunt Rosemary. I have to admit that if Manny could be had for two million dollars, I wouldn't have minded the Sox taking a flyer on him to give them a right handed power bat off the bench. But, I've never heard of a team carrying two DH's Also, I don't see Professor Maddon and the ManRam getting along all that well. Manny is either going to shock us all and start hitting bombs again or he'll be a clubhouse cancer and start reaching for a tender hamstring every time The Professor asks him to hustle down the line. I have to admit to being shocked when I learned both were signed at the same time. I was half thinking they would sign Cesar Crespo and Curtis "The Mechanic" Leskanic to contracts too.

All that doesn't mean a hill of beans when I think of Johnny and Manny, because to me and the rest of Red Sox Nation, they will always be part of the original 25. The 25 that never need to pay for a beer in New England ever again. Damon and Manny were two of the most important pieces of that magical year. My guess is when they come to Fenway, the fans will stand and cheer, at least I hope they will. I hope they both have fantastic years against the Yankees and play like ailing prima donnas against the Sox.

Don't worry,
'Dawg.

No comments:

Post a Comment